No excuses, no procrastination
Don't let excuses and procrastination dominate your business.
Implement effective management systems to allow you to overcome these two productivity barriers.
Are the team members and managers lazy?
Both managers and employees can lose focus. Lack of focus can be caused by laziness, but more often, it is the result of ineffective management of time and tasks.
Even in business that regularly meet targets, you will find that people are busy. It is just that they are focusing on the wrong things.
There are three basic ways to become more effective:
Adopt a "Can Do" attitude;
- Accept responsibility (i.e. not passing the buck);
- Prevent distractions by less important priorities.
In addition, managers and team leaders need to:
Don't Accept Excuses;
- Focus on deadlines and regularly communicate them to team members;
- Develop a reward and recognition process;
- Develop consistency in rewards and incentives.
If you look around most offices, you see a group of dedicated, highly motivated, hard working people.
However, if left to their own devices, three quarters of the staff would be relatively ineffective by the company's documented standards.
As unfortunate as it may sound, the reality is people require leadership and guidance.
Even your top managers at times need to be given direction.
In some business, even if all the staff has a "Can Do" attitude, problems may still occur because of distractions by less important competing tasks.
A popular analogy is two teams on a football field.
- One team beats the other but both walk off the field exhausted.
- Physically, both teams worked as hard as each other, yet one achieved its goal and the other failed.
- The only difference was that one team was more focused on the priorities of getting the ball across the line…and that is the difference between success and failure.